Get the most out of Google My Business for hotels
Interact with guests
Interact with your guests to build loyalty, drive recognition and overall create a more attractive profile. This allows you to create a stronger relationship with your guests and become more interesting to new guests.
- Reply to reviews from hotel guests
- Add photos and videos to the business listing to show potential guests your service offering
- Answer questions about your hotel
- Chat directly with guests
Reply to reviews from hotel guests
Reviews are important for the organic search results – the visibility of your Google My Business entry can also increase the visibility in the so-called Local Pack and the Google Maps rankings. Google reviews and star ratings are right below your hotel’s name and can help you stand out from the competition.
Should you ask for ratings and reviews?
Did you know: 68% of customers left a review after being asked by a local business (Bright Local, 2017).
So it makes perfect sense to ask guests for reviews. It’s best to give your guests the opportunity to leave reviews in a variety of media such as email, in-room, and social media.
Not all reviews can be exuberantly good. But similar to answering questions asked by potential guests, it’s a good idea to respond to all reviews. Respond in a friendly and professional manner to positive and negative reviews.
Add quality photos and videos
In addition to reviews, high-quality photos and videos should be the most important element of an attractive Google My Business profile for hotels. This includes a logo, a cover photo, 360 photos, videos and several image categories such as outdoor, indoor, rooms, and food and drink. Give your potential guests the best possible impression of what they can expect from and in your hotel.
A few tips and tricks for adding photos and videos:
- Add pictures of unique features that set your hotel apart from others.
- This includes exterior shots, interiors, features, staff assisting guests, etc.
- Don’t use a logo as your preferred photo (for your information, there is no guarantee that Google will use the photo you choose as a preferred photo).
- Use wide-angle shots with good lighting.
- Don’t use close-ups or pictures that don’t convey what your hotel has to offer
- Optimize your images for SEO: filenames and alt tags (optimizing your images can have a positive effect on Google Image Search)
- If you don’t have equipment for 360-degree photos or videos, it pays to hire a professional
- Outdated photos: If you come across outdated or inappropriate photos of your hotel, or unrelated images that other users have posted, you can report them for removal
Important note: Guests can also publish photos in your offer. If there is an image that you think is harmful to your listing, you can report the image to Google.
Don’t leave any questions unanswered.
A time-consuming but useful feature of Google My Business for hotels is questions and answers. This section is very useful as it allows you to answer questions from potential guests and thus create a helpful FAQ
So don’t just answer “yes” or “no”. Provide informative and detailed answers. For example, if someone asks about check-in or check-out times, give the clear and helpful answer and refer them to your website for more information.
If a user asks a question that you consider particularly important, you can prioritize it, which may make the question more visible in local search results.
Important note: Anyone can answer questions about your Google My Business listing. Therefore, it is best to regularly review your offer and make sure potential guests see the correct answers.
Report inappropriate reviews
Read the prohibited and restricted content guidelines. If a review violates this, you can report it as described here to have it removed.